How to Live Streaming with OBS Studio – If you are looking for an application to live stream or record screen on a computer, you will find that OBS is widely recommended. So this time we will tell you how to do a live stream when playing games with OBS.
We can do live streaming while playing games easily or it can be complicated, complete with various equipment. Well, it depends on how you want to package the content.
How to Live Streaming with OBS Studio
But we chose the basic easy way, without using any additional equipment. So you only have a laptop, a webcam camera , and a laptop built-in microphone. At least, if you’re just starting your journey as a streamer , you know you can already do this with just your laptop.
Well of course if your laptop meets the specifications for playing games and is able to operate multitasking with additional streaming. For your information, here we use the ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo UX581 laptop, the OBS application, and Facebook Live for streaming.
What is OBS Studio
OBS or Open Broadcaster Software is an open source application for video recording and live streaming . This app supports broadcasts for video services YouTube, Twitch, Facebook, etc.
The OBS application is currently available for various computer platforms, be it Windows, macOS, or Linux. You install it by downloading this application on the official site.
The appearance of the OBS application can be “creepy” for those of you who are just starting to use it. But believe me, if you’ve used it a few times, you’ll quickly recognize its function.
How to Use OBS Studio For Live Streaming
- Open the OBS app and the game you want to play.
- You can also open the game later when you want to select a viewing source (step no. 11).
- To make switching between applications easier, maybe you can choose the game display with the settings ‘ window ‘ or ‘ windowed fullscreen ‘ in the game.
- Create a new ‘Profile’: Click Profile > New in the OBS top Menu bar, then name the new ‘Profile’.
- Profiles are useful for differentiating settings for different purposes.
- Select ‘Optimize for streaming, recording is secondary’ in the ‘Usage Information’ section.
- This means that you prioritize the OBS process for streaming (yes, you can stream and record at the same time).
- Specify the canvas resolution and FPS ( frames per second ) from the available options.
- The canvas is the field that is visible when streaming .
- Choose a media service for streaming (Twitch, YouTube, Facebook Live, etc). For this tutorial we used Facebook Live as an example.
- You will be asked to enter the ‘ stream key ‘ from your Facebook.
- Now you go to the Live Producer Facebook page on your profile or business page.
- Personal: facebook.com/live/producer; Business page:Go to business page on Facebook > Make Live
- In the Live Stream Setup section, copy the code in the Stream Key.
- Enter Stream Key in OBS.
- OBS will test the connection to Facebook Live by uploading a random video (white image with noise ).
- If the Stream Key connection is correct, you will also see it in the preview window of the live stream on Facebook.
- If all goes well, click ‘Apply Settings’.
- Add a new ‘Scene’ by clicking the [+] sign in the bottom left box. Then give it a name.
- Select the media input source from the ‘Sources’ box.
- This media input can be a game display on the screen, a webcam or external camera, an external microphone, etc. (here we only use the laptop’s built-in webcam and microphone).
- For the game screen, you can choose:
- Display Capture – Monitor/screen based. Useful if you have another monitor/screen.
- Game Capture – Based on game applications. To select the game in question.
- Window Capture – Based on the application window.
- Select the window and application/game name.
- Specify ‘Mode’ – Select ‘Capture specific window’ to capture a specific application window.
- Choose the game you are playing. Here we try with Valorant .
- If successful, you will see the game display in the OBS preview .
- If you want to show your face on the streaming screen, you can repeat step number 11. But this time you choose ‘Video Capture Device’ as the source.
- Select the laptop’s webcam as the source.
- You can resize the view by dragging the corners and sides of the view.
- If you want to crop (eg make a box shape), right click ‘Video Capture Device’ > Transform >Edit Transform. Then enter the size of the crop in the crop box.
- It should be without entering the OBS sound source already using the audio and microphone from the laptop automatically. But if you want to set it up, you can do this option:
- Click the gear icon (settings) on each option (‘Desktop Audio’ and ‘Mic/Aux’) in the ‘Audio Mixer’ section.
- Press the ‘Settings’ button in the ‘Controls’ box at the bottom right.
- Start streaming (but not publish/ post yet ).
- Click ‘Start Streaming’ in the ‘Control’ box
- If the settings are correct, then you will see a preview in Facebook Live Producer.
- Now all you have to do is provide a title, description, and other settings for publishing on Facebook.
- If so, click ‘Go Live’ and start the game live streaming.
Read Also: Best Live Streaming Software For Pc
Just as an additional note, if you want to reduce the quality of the streaming image ( to save bandwidth ) you can click ‘Setting’ in the ‘Controls’ box then go to the ‘Video’ option and replace the ‘Output (Scalled) Resolution’ option with a larger size. small.
Well, that’s how to live stream games using a simple OBS application. If you are already fluent in this way, you can experiment with various more sophisticated equipment. This includes using other streaming services.